LOGIC (n.) from Greek 'logikos': 1. Anything posted on this blog. 2. Anything that drives a liberal crazy

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Cute? How about, um, NO!

I saw this hat at Walmart the other day:




For those of you living in caves accessing the internet, this is a pun on Subway's logo, instead advertising Jesus as "the way". Referencing John 14:6 (Jesus answered, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."), it proposes to get people to heaven.

I have three problems here. One, Jesus doesn't need to be, nor should He be, advertised. Two, the verse that the hat references is Law, not Gospel.

The main problem I have, however, is the idea of being "cute" in regards to Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world. There is nothing cute about it. The cold, hard reality is that we are evil to the core, born sinful and destined for everlasting damnation, yet, in spite of this, God the Father showered boundless mercy upon us by sending His Son, Jesus, to die and take away the sins of the world. That is NOT a cute story.

This is all representative of a larger movement of being cute to "sell" Jesus. Punny church signs, bumper stickers and now hats are popping up everywhere.

E'en so Lord Jesus quickly come!

7 Comments:

Blogger KrazyinBrooklyn said...

Good one honey, my thoughts exactly.

7:27 PM

 
Blogger Rick said...

Name me one Christian "promotion" that has been unique? They've all been spin-offs of secular concepts.

So, not only are they crap theologically, they are not even original.

8:48 PM

 
Blogger Marie N. said...

But you'll get the make the Ablaze(TM) ticker spin every time someone LOOKS at you wearing it!!!

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Rick said...

Glock,

You let Marie say the "A" word. Ach! I think you need to turn on comment moderation...now!

:p

8:46 PM

 
Blogger Genuine Lustre said...

Way!

6:04 PM

 
Blogger chaplain7904 said...

I see I converted the Quipper to using the anathemous alphabet. Good work, Quip. Nice post O Lutheran theologian.

12:10 AM

 
Blogger amy said...

Hi, my friend sent this link to me and I think the hat is fabulously congruous with the American "way" of consumption. Not only can we buy the hat, we can buy a sandwich that is connected to the hat and take communion in Subway. I mean, it is kind of refreshing to find a direct link between American's need for salvation and the consumer ethic. Two more points: the name subway is interesting in terms of JC because his is always the subterranian way, the way of the poor, the sick, the needy, the sinner. Also, I just would like to mention the first thing that comes to mind when I read the phrase "the way" is Buddha.

my two cents

8:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home