LOGIC (n.) from Greek 'logikos': 1. Anything posted on this blog. 2. Anything that drives a liberal crazy

Monday, July 31, 2006

Do you want fries with that?

I've written a few times about the dumbing down of America. I had to share this experience with you. Today for lunch, I went to a well-known fast food chain in Mentor. I won't reveal which one, because they've served billions and billions under their golden arches, and I don't want to embarrass them.

I made my order, and the total came to $6.91. Since I hadn't had a chance to get change, all I had was a $50 and two ones. I hate ones, so I gave the girl (16, maybe) $52, looking for even change. ($45.09, of course) She said, "out of $7? Your change is 9 cents." I politely said, "No, ma'am, I gave you $52." She looked down and said, "Oh! I thought this was a $5!".

"OK, your change is, um, well..........Crystal??"

"I thought he gave me $7, and he gave me $52."

Crystal hands the two ones back to me. "The total was $6.91 sir. All we need is the $50."

I patiently explained my dislike for singles, and asked for $45.09 back.

"OK, hold on." Crystal turns around to a blank piece of paper, writes for the better part of 90 seconds, and says, "Alright sir, your change is $44.19." I said, "I'm sorry, I came up with $45.09."

"David????", whines Crystal, "can you bring a caculator up here?". While waiting for David, I said to Crystal, "If you add $6.91 and $45.09, you get $52, so it should be $45.09."

"I know, but I want to ask the manager." OK, I understand......they don't want to get scammed.

"No, look", I say. If you add 9 cents to 91 cents, you get $1, right?"

"Yes."

"So add $1 and $6, and you get $7, right?"

"Yes."

"Then add $45, and you get $52, right?"

"Yes, but hold on."

At this point, the original cashier butts in and says, "Let me add it." She proceeds to spend a minute subtracting to tell me, "I'm sorry sir, I was wrong. Your change is $54.09."

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Anyway, the manager came out with a calculator and proved me correct, at which point I looked at Crystal and said, "Sorry for the confusion....I just want to make sure it's right. I understand you don't want to get scammed."
She replied, "That's not it. I just was sure I was right." ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

American Dumbness Indicator for July 31, 2006: 47

7 Comments:

Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Probably products of the public school system. Ahem.

7:42 PM

 
Blogger Rick said...

Barb, I wouldn't go that far yet. I know private school kids that would have had the same problem.

For as good as these kids can be with a video game, they are otherwise not very good at thinking on their feet. For as much as this sounds like a "math problem", I think more of it is their ability to react rationally.

9:49 AM

 
Blogger chaplain7904 said...

Quipper, I know of a private school in which the teacher's might not be able to do better. I won't mention any names.

8:04 PM

 
Blogger LuvGlock said...

{cough}{hack}Principal M.S{cough}{cough}

5:38 AM

 
Blogger Rick said...

Glockman, I think you have a little reality caught in your throat. Would a truth syrum help dissolve it? :-)

10:29 PM

 
Blogger Scott said...

Do dis blog be closed??

8:06 PM

 
Blogger Scott said...

Is dis heah blog still be producktin the writins of yous? Or do it be "A thing of the Past" as dey say in da hood, yo....

Fo shizzle.

6:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home