LOGIC (n.) from Greek 'logikos': 1. Anything posted on this blog. 2. Anything that drives a liberal crazy

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

We now return to your regularly scheduled blog -or- The Adventures of the Grammar Nazi

Well, it's been a heck of a week. As you all know, we moved a week and a half ago. Kudos to Mrs. Theo[logical] Universe for all of her hard work. She's been an organizing and cleaning nut! The house is in great shape, thanks to her. I love you honey!

Now to the issue at hand. I've gotta say that I've about had it with the grammar, etc. in our society. Check out this sign posted at the employee entrance of one of the customers I service:
I realize you may not be able to read it, since it's a camera phone pic so here's the translation for those of you without 20/1 vision: "We only hire the best & Your It!" Apparently, that doesn't apply to the employee who created the sign.

Besides your/you're, here's a few other common mistakes that make me crazy:

Myriad:
LuvGlock has a myriad of talents. [Insert game show buzzer sound] The correct use of this word does not include a/of. The sentence should read: "LuvGlock has myriad talents". Myriad is similar in meaning to the word "many".

Adverbs: I feel very strong about abortion. [BUZZER] Adjectives always end in 'ly', as in: "I feel very strongly about abortion.

Another things that drives me crazy is speling erors. I don't expect everyone to know how to spell "fibromyalgia" or "hyperpolysesquipedalianism". I think though, that most people should be able to spell "computer" and "plywood" and other such common, easy words.

Good/well You don't feel good. You feel well. You don't do something good. You do something well.

Lastly, when people use quotes on posted signs incorrectly. A sign should read No Trespassing not "No Trespassing" or Employees Only not "Employees Only".

OK, so I'm a little picky. Maybe, but honestly, America is really getting dumbed down, and that's a problem. Standards have lowered for everything, not just intellect. We've all heard the stories about 4% of high school seniors being able to locate Germany on a map, and other such things.

How about this: "If you show up to work on time, every day, and do the job you've been assigned, you'll go far." I've heard that on more than one occasion from employers. It's not just talk, either. I've seen people get promoted for doing nothing more than that. Remember when you had to go the extra mile to get noticed and be appreciated? Not anymore.

Where does it end? If we continue to lower the standards, how long until the President of the United States is a college dropout? Or even a high school dropout? How long until CEO's have as much sense of how to do a good job as any of the 46 janitors that came through the company last year? How long until you can get a degree in a year of 12 credit hours?

OK, so maybe I'm an alarmist and really picky. But at least I spelled it correct.

Tune in tomorrow for: Smoking Bans; a new Jack Bauer FOD, a new thought of the day, and the answer to today's bonus question: What is the definition of "hyperpolysesquipedalianism"?

7 Comments:

Blogger Gino A Melone said...

Wow! I'm impressed. If it wasn't for the fact that I know you can't ever spell grammar correctly, I'd think that was intentional.

However, making one of your pet mistakes with the final word was beautiful.

7:17 PM

 
Blogger LuvGlock said...

Thank you, thank you. I'm glad you got the suttel humor at the end. Oh, and my grammar's have been corrected. :-)

7:36 PM

 
Blogger KrazyinBrooklyn said...

Thank you honey for the complement, I do it all for you. I love you too.

10:35 PM

 
Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

That spelling "grammar" thing must run in the family. Or not.

11:17 PM

 
Blogger Scott said...

Theo wrote:
"I think thought"


lol! Never, EVER rant about grammar and spelling unless you've run the spell checker, grammar checker, and had two other people proof read it prior to submission.

It's a rule. It makes me feel good.

1:47 PM

 
Blogger LuvGlock said...

I see no such phrase Mr. Scott

3:40 PM

 
Blogger Orycteropus Afer said...

But at least I spelled it correct.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

There's no penalty for the use of "but" at the beginning of a sentence since even the most ardent grammar cops allow its occasional precedence. However, just after you went off on adverbs, you used an adjective to modify "spelled."

4:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home